Scotch eggs are something that is simply not available in gluten free options, many other savoury delights are coming on to the market but I can’t say I have ever seen these. Stephen had previously enjoyed them (like so many other things), but they always sounded way to hard to try to make.
Finally I plucked up the courage and gave them a go!
The results were delicious and even our 8-year-old daughter thought they were lovely.
- 4 x Hard Boiled Eggs with shells removed
- Pack of gluten free sausages (approx 6 should be fine)
- Gluten Free Flour
- Beaten Egg
- Gluten Free Breadcrumbs (make your own with our previous recipe or buy ready made)
- Parsley or other herbs to suit your taste
- Remove the skins from the sausages and make the sausage meat in to a large ball and the herbs to taste, then divide equally in to four balls
- Squash each sausage meat ball in to a large pattie (you may find this easier to do between cling film
- Take a boiled egg and roll in the flour
- Wrap one sausage meat pattie around the egg
- Roll in the flour again, then in beaten egg and then in breadcrumbs
- Repeat the egg and breadcrumb roll to create a second layer of crumbs for extra crispness
- Place the scotch egg in a deep fat fryer on 170 degreesfor 3 – 4 minutes and remove
- Increase the temperature to 190 degrees and then fry a second time for 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown
- Remove the eggs and drain
- If you prefer to cook the eggs in a healthier way then you can shallow fry them for 5 – 6 minutes and then transfer to a baking sheet and oven bake for approx 10 minutes.
Hope you enjoy them.
I tried these again and made them even nicer by having a double layer of breadcrumbs and they were fantastic.