How To Make Gluten Free Scotch Eggs
Scotch eggs are something that is simply not available in gluten free options, many other savoury delights are coming on to the market but I can’t say I have ever seen these. Stephen had previously enjoyed them (like so many other things), but they always sounded way to hard to try to make.
Finally I plucked up the courage and gave them a go!
The results were delicious and even our 8-year-old daughter thought they were lovely.
- 4 x Hard Boiled Eggs with shells removed
- Pack of gluten free sausages (approx 6 should be fine)
- Gluten Free Flour
- Beaten Egg
- Gluten Free Breadcrumbs (make your own with our previous recipe or buy ready made)
- Parsley or other herbs to suit your taste
- Remove the skins from the sausages and make the sausage meat in to a large ball and the herbs to taste, then divide equally in to four balls
- Squash each sausage meat ball in to a large pattie (you may find this easier to do between cling film
- Take a boiled egg and roll in the flour
- Wrap one sausage meat pattie around the egg
- Roll in the flour again, then in beaten egg and then in breadcrumbs
- Repeat the egg and breadcrumb roll to create a second layer of crumbs for extra crispness
- Place the scotch egg in a deep fat fryer on 170 degreesfor 3 – 4 minutes and remove
- Increase the temperature to 190 degrees and then fry a second time for 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown
- Remove the eggs and drain
- If you prefer to cook the eggs in a healthier way then you can shallow fry them for 5 – 6 minutes and then transfer to a baking sheet and oven bake for approx 10 minutes.
Hope you enjoy them.
I tried these again and made them even nicer by having a double layer of breadcrumbs and they were fantastic.