The Best Gluten Free Pancake Batter Recipe Ever
However this year I realised we had run out of batter mix so looked up a recipe again.
To my amazement this recipe really worked and made the most delicious pancakes we have tasted for a long time. The batter mix always used to make the pancakes quite thick, but following this recipe allowed us to make them much thinner and so not as stodgy (also the mix went further which was a bonus as we made more!). One thing to note is that the flour does settle very easily within this batter and I found that in between each pancake the batter had to be stirred again to keep the flour mixed in.
- 200g Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 500ml Milk
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Sieve the flour in to a large bowl
- Add the eggs to the flour mixture and mix slightly
- Slowly add the milk whilst whisking with an electric whisk
- Continue whisking for 1 – 2 minutes until the mixture is lump free
- Set the mixture aside in a fridge for at least an hour
- Remove the batter and give in a further mix with a hand whisk
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan until it is sizzling hot
- Tip the excess oil out in to a re-usable container (such as an old mug)
- Add approx ¾ ladleful of batter to the frying pan
- Make sure the batter coats the frying base
- Cook on a moderate heat until the base of the pancake is golden brown
- Turn the pancake over either by tossing or using a spatula
- Cook until the other side is golden brown
- Remove from the pan and serve with your favourite topping
Popular Topping Ideas
Squeeze of Lemon Juice and Sugar – the classic and always a favourite.
Squeeze of Orange Juice and Sugar – has a little less bite than lemon.
Syrup – Golden Syrup or Maple Syrup – my daughters favourite.
Jam – my favourite
Or for those more adventurous of you:
Bananas and Whipped Cream
Any fresh fruit – Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries are particularly nice
Ice Cream and Toffee Sauce
And finally some savoury options
Mince and onions (similar to a shepherd’s pie base)
Cheese and Onion
Cheese and Tomato
Cheese and Mushroom
Ham and Cheese.
The base recipe itself is the essence of simplicity and is an essential in any gluten free kitchen.