Top Five Gluten Free Pancake Toppings for Shrove Tuesday
Pancakes are a must have in any household, especially on Shrove Tuesday, question is what will you have on your? We’ve put together a top 5 sweet and savoury topping ideas to tickle your taste buds.
- Lemon and Sugar – the old classic and a favourite amongst many
- Strawberries and Cream – what could be nicer than fresh strawberries topped with freshly whipped cream – if strawberries are not your thing then you could always change the fruit for your favourite
- Maple Syrup and Ice Cream – nothing nicer than ice cream melting over warm pancakes, drizzled with maple syrup
- Chocolate and Banana – for those of you that love the combination of chocolate and banana, this should be a firm favourite, you can either use chocolate spread if you are short on time or make youself a yummy chocolate sauce to pour over the chopped banana. To top it off sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- If you are feeling particularly adventurous then how about going for the most indulgent recipe:
- Millionaires Shortbread – drizzle your pancake with caramel sauce, sprinkle over some crushed shortbread biscuit and then melt you favourite chocolate over the top – Yummy!
If sweet pancakes are not your thing, then how about trying one of our savoury filling ideas:
- Cheese and Onion – grate the cheese of your choice and mix with some chopped red onion, spread over the pancake and lightly grill until the cheese melts
- Cheese and Brocoli – make a cheese sauce and mix with cooked brocoli, then pour over one half of your cooked pancake and fold
- Savoury Mince – see our recipe for a savoury mince filling
- Ham, Egg and Cheese – once you have cooked your pancake, sprinkle with cooked ham and grated cheese then break an egg on the top and allow to cook (cover to make it cook quicker).
- Spinach and Ricotta Cheese – fry some mushrooms, onions and spinach in a pan, spread ricotta cheese over your pancake and top with the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake till melted.
These are our top favourite pancake toppings, but would love to hear your ideas and what your favourite’s are.