Gluten Free Gravy Recipe
Growing up as a child one of my weekly highlights was my Mum’s roast dinner on a Sunday. Especially the gravy that she used to make, so when I grew up and left home this was one thing I made sure I knew how to make so I could carry on enjoying the taste. It was made with flour, Bisto Powder, yeast extract, an Oxo cube and meat juices.
When Stephen was diagnosed with Coeliac disease it was apparent that this lovely recipe for gravy could no longer be made and many of the ingredients were not gluten free. We researched the instant gravy granules and for a number of years resorted to making instant gravy with added meat juices to give a little flavour.
With the advancement of gluten free flour and my skills becoming a little more ambitious I decided to try and replicate the home-made gravy using some of the ingredients I now have available. To our amazement it was a success first time! It tastes much nice than the instant gravy and goes a nice thick consistency, just like my Mum used to make!
- Meat Juices
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of gluten free plain flour
- 1 gluten free stock cube (we use Knorr)
- Dash of gravy browning
- Place the meat juices in a saucepan and add the flour
- Mix to form a roux
- Crumble in the stock cube and add enough water for desired consistency (approx 1/2 – 3/4 pint)
- Stir/whisk over a medium heat until thick and boiling